Lead Pastor (Full Time)
Total compensation of $70,000 - $95,000 per year plus benefits (range depending on experience)
We are a non-denominational church of approximately 200, including families, college and graduate students, young professionals, and long-term community members. We are invested in cultivating a diverse body that is welcoming to anyone seeking Jesus. Our Sunday morning gatherings are held in the theater of a local high school, and we have an office in the heart of downtown Davis. We are looking for a leader who brings out the best in others to come alongside us in living out our mission and vision.
Our Mission: We are here to meet people where they are and lead them to be
disciples of Jesus Christ who make disciples of Jesus Christ.
Our Vision: A CHURCH reaching our CITY to change our WORLD.
Situated in the northern region of California’s Central Valley, Davis is known for its farmers market, excellent public schools, and being the unofficial “Bicycle Capital of the US.” The community is highly educated, with the majority of residents being socially liberal. Davis is also home to the University of California, Davis campus, which brings a large population of undergraduates, graduates, and postdocs who are passing members of the community.
About the Role
The ideal Lead Pastor candidate possesses the following characteristics:
- Experience in leading a church body to live out life as disciples of Jesus who make disciples of Jesus
- Awareness of various approaches to building a discipleship movement and its importance in the context of America’s post-church culture
- A growing, thriving relationship with Jesus and a commitment to knowing and applying God’s Word
- Is driven to understand cultural contexts in order to welcome and shepherd the diverse groups that make up the community
- Willingness to lead and live in a culture of openness and authenticity
- Self-awareness to identify and communicate strengths and limitations, and ask for help and delegate when needed
- Established habits of promoting spiritual, emotional, and organizational health
- Humility to embrace the need to be discipled and supported by others
- Serving as one of the elders and leading the church to effectively execute its mission and vision
- Discipling, training, and empowering leaders in growing a discipleship movement
- Continuing to build bridges for the gospel in our city and our region through partnership with local church leaders, city leaders, and campus ministry leaders
- Leading, coaching, and encouraging the staff team in fulfilling their responsibilities
- Preaching a minimum of two Sundays each month
- Leading the Teaching Team
- Fulfilling ministerial responsibilities
- Commitment to a long-term pastorate
- 5+ years experience in church leadership at a staff level
- Demonstrated passion and skill for cultivating and sustaining a culture of discipleship
- Strong, decisive leadership with well-developed organizational skills
- Ministerial competence (preaching, teaching, performing sacramental ceremonies, etc)
- Be a highly effective oral and written communicator
- A bachelor’s degree is required (master’s degree preferred)
- Formal training in biblical scholarship from an accredited institution
How to Apply
Please submit the following to email@example.com by November 30th:
- In one page, define what discipleship is to you and describe how you would cultivate a culture of discipleship in a church body.
- A video recording or link to a sermon you’ve given in the last 6 months